Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Second Chance: (Prompt 45)

My alarm clock reads 5:45 p.m.  Why I'm feeling upbeat and ready to pull an all-nighter, I don't know.  Too much homework, too little time.  Starting hard to hopefully end easy, I dive into trig.

The Beatles clock on the wall tells me it's 12:05 a.m.  A cliche thought crosses my mind, sleep's for the dead.  Reality wise this is only justification to my decision that by this time I know was a mistake.  Fighting my calculator, I grit my teeth and count remaining problems.  One... Two... Three... Four... Five... Only fourteen more to go.

A glance at my wrist indicates it's just past 3 a.m.  Broken pencil numero tres tells me I've been dealing with math eight hours too many.  Four pages back to front of math problems lets me know my teacher isn't going to enjoy grading my exam.

4:10 p.m.: I sleep, I mean sit, in class with a poorly finished product.  Class started 10 minutes ago; 15 students remain MIA.  "Any questions on the exam before we move on to the next chapter?"  Only everyone raises their hands.  Twenty minutes later I walk out of room 117 wondering, why me?  The test isn't due for another week.

May round two begin.



1 comment:

  1. YOu've got a nice line in these little slice-of-life vignettes that combine thoughts with actions--we're in your mind, then watching with you. That works!

    ReplyDelete