Sunday, April 21, 2013

Road Kill: (Prompt 51)

Hitting an animal is an experience I wish I had the ability to answer, "never have I ever," if questioned. My record was clean until a spring day last year.  Trees were budding, the sky was Caribbean Sea blue, and the sun was high up in the sky for all to see.  To say the least, it was beautiful...outside that is.

I didn't take notice of the weather.  Wasn't one of the students to complain about being stuck in class when all I wanted to do was take advantage of the beauty outside.  I was getting out of class. Actually, three classes to be exact.  There's even documentation on my transcript.  Three whopping W's where an A would have preferably resided.

I had no choice.  It was two weeks since the last time I attended class.  There was no way I was going to be able to catch up.  I secretly admit I should have listened when I was told by four different people, don't you think five classes is a little much?  You should really think about reconsidering.  Seriously, it's me I'm talking about.  I just saw that as an attack at my capability to succeed.  Bring it on, I thought to myself when I signed up for classes in the fall.

With two classes left, I hung my head as I exited Maine Hall heading to my white Chevy.  At this point I was angry. More at myself than anything else.  I had been proved wrong.  Defeated by my own thick-headedness.  My phone began to buzz and I hit "ignore" when her name popped up.  Sitting in the car tears scraped down my face.  No I would rather not gossip about OUR close friend while she's in critical condition at the hospital.  More anger surfaced.

I can't recall what took place the moment I shut my phone off and drove away to the time I walked through the front door.  That is...except for a streak of gray & orange under tire one then immediately tire number two.  A darting of colors into the woods.  A squealing of tires too late. 

A beautiful day for most, was a not so beautiful day for me.


1 comment:

  1. You know what you're doing here: mixing three or four disparate elements in a way that allows us to see the secret connections that make them not disparate after all. And creating a metaphor or 'objective correlative'--the cat standing in for the other losses.

    ReplyDelete