Monday, April 29, 2013

(Prompt 52)

David's Bridal Wedding Gown size 14. Beautiful. No need to spend hundreds. I have your dress. Come try it on!

Minus five minutes ago, I have never seen a woman read an Uncle Henry's ad.  I'm going to be judgmental and go on saying I think nothing shouts creepy like an ad for a wedding dress in a magazine I see male relatives keep in the bathroom for what they consider "down time."  
Most women have a different way with words compared to men.  In this case personally I would have tried to sell it more.  It is a wedding dress after all.  That one day that women claim to be THEIR day when in reality it's just as much their soon-to-be husband's.  Everything has to be perfect.  Not a single hair out of place.  So, as I said, a woman would sell it more.  Yes it can be argued that one can only afford so many words for an ad that requires payment by each character, but the shortness of it just spells out creepy.  
After feeling a sketchy vibe from the whole idea of this ad, my main problem lies with the, "Come try it on!"  My mind has already started to be suspicious, but this last sentence screams, "you'll never make it home."  Okay I admit that I'm sounding paranoid, I just wouldn't dream of going to this dude's house and eventually show up in a short documentary on one of those channels my grandmother likes to watch.
But hey, if in these five short sentences your attention is grasped and you feel that venturing out to this person's house is a good idea, by all means do it.  I'm just saying, I warned you.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I actually achieved what the point of week 11 was supposed to. ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, week 11 or no, you got a laugh out of me with your last sentence, always a good first move. Oh, and your grandmother's favorite creep documentaries made me laugh too.

    Usually with a prompt like that, we are going to hear about how the marriage went south after the fairytale wedding, but you focus very unusually on a response to the ad itself, which is a less predictable and more interesting direction and leads to a strong piece.

    ReplyDelete