Saturday, March 16, 2013

First Step Into Adulthood: (In Class)

Dressed in a sweatshirt and jeans, I was wearing my common attire.  Other girls I presumed to be here for the same reason were all dressed up, drenched in make-up wearing their finest clothes.  Now I laugh at their appearance, "It's a head shot, they're not going to be looking at your white, highly-priced, Abercrombie jeans."  But at that moment I felt underdressed.  Fidgeting in my seat waiting for my turn, I took out my poinytail.  Having my hairdown might cover my middle-school sweatshirt and hopefully make me more presentable.  Sneeking a peek in a questioning room like mirror, this is not the case. I'm overcome with a sense of annoyance forcing me to put it back up.   It isn't long before my winning number is called.  Not on purpose, I have forgotten about my appearance.  I'm commanded to smile and with a flash, my picture is taken.  I'm offered a glance at what will identify me for the next five years of my life.  I walk out more satisfied than 'Abercrombie' arguing with her mom.  I snicker as her fading words resemble a sentence much like, "you should be allowed more than two shots. I mean no one gets a good picture on their first try."

I did.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, very very good drop-dead ending, finishing off that sharp Abercrombie put-down. For a man, not really understanding or noticing how these things work, this offered a nice peek into another and mysterious world.

    ReplyDelete