Sunday, March 10, 2013

Through A Little Sister's Eyes: (Theme 7)

For being a perfectionist, I would think her room would maintain better organization.  I mean, she will write and re-write her notes during school until she has reached what she considers acceptable.  Don't think twice about asking her to borrow one of her books.  It doesn't matter if it's a second-hand (which she has few of) or first copy.  She has trust issues.  Past traumas of friends crinkling the pages or tearing a cover, I don't know.  The other day she pulled her current free read out of her bag and it had a crease on the front cover.  I stifled a giggle when she ran off to the other room because I knew she was tearing up.  She tried to laugh at herself, but I could tell it was a struggle as she kept peaking at the book while attempting homework.  Her mind was definitely preoccupied for the day.

This brings me to her attention, or lack there of.  I swear if she was in a padded room with no doors or windows, give her a book, a piece of paper, and a pen to do an assignment with, she'd find some interesting thing to distract her from the task at hand.  Her mind is full of wonder and amazement with the objects that surround her which all require her attention.  She also is too antsy to sit for more than five minutes.  It's as if her legs need to be constantly moving.

Although her mind seems to be in a more rapid motion than others, she doesn't say much except when home.  She's quiet.  A thinker at their best.  She observes and remembers things that most people don't.  Not only is she very good at remember birthdays, but names as well.  Unlike others in college who seem to make habit of forgetting names, she had to pretend she forgot names of classmates because that was what was common amongst her peers.

Some might categorize her as awkward, but I think there's much more to her than that. She has a hard time conversing with others in everyday conversation, but like I said, there is so much going on in her mind.  I think this gives her difficulty in processing her thoughts like you and I.  This leads to her frequent stuttering and blushing in her daily interactions.

She's in a much better place when we sit on her roof and look at the stars.  She likes to try and grasp the reality of how large the universe is.  She has a deep appreciation for these balls of gas burning billions of miles away.  Other than star gazing she loves nothing more than to watch movies, listen to music, and read books.  All common traits that most of the human population seems to possess, but like stars, she appreciates it.

We don't seem to always agree on movies because of course mine are bad choices.  But her Oscar winning, mood-disorder containing, Holocaust deep, "films" are amazing.  Reluctantly I must agree she has a pretty good sense of what a good movie is.  The history one's especially.  She is thrilled with anything, and I truly mean ANYTHING, that involves any type of history.  Trust me, I get a new random fact in tremendous detail every day.  I'm always learning something new.

Music is no different than movies.  She's been going on lately, ever since she was introduced to "good music" from The Perks of Being a Wallflower, about how the Top 40 is ridiculous. She let's some songs slide, but she's a real lyrical type of person.  She brings meaning to every song she hears, and if she can't it's most likely not "good music."  She's not the kind of person you'd like to argue with.  If she knows you and is comfortable with you, there's just no winning.  She's always right.  So I don't bicker with her anymore about Lil' Wayne being the best current artist because obviously she's correct with it being fun. or Of Monsters and Men.  Her and her Indie playlist.

Other than when she's right, she is wrong.  And I think she's wrong about a lot of things.  Most of the things I think she's wrong about aren't superficial materialistic items or media involved topics.  She's mostly wrong about the opinion she holds about herself.  Without going into detail, it's not positive.  She feels her problems don't need a voice.  She has a pride that is like no other and thinks she can do it all on her own.  This makes her a great listener, but I have to watch her actions and mannerisms to notice when she's not doing well.  I know she is a lonely person, she always has been.  I wish there was a light-switch I could turn on to make her see herself how I see her.

But she is stronger than any person I know.  She loves her family and friends.  She also tries to give people the benefit of the doubt.  Whenever I feel the need to go on a rant about someone I don't like she always insists I see it from their point of view and there is more to the situation than meets the eye. This is why I love my big sister.

1 comment:

  1. NOw this is what I'd call a theme for week 7--why not use it as your theme? Looking-into-a-mirror, self-study works for me--this displays a nice mix of specifics, mini-stories, and general observations.

    ReplyDelete