Sunday, March 17, 2013

Suspension?: (Prompt 36)

A door shuts behind me with emphasis.  I do not sit until an indication has been made for me.  I land across from two men of two completely different proportions.  I saw my friend in the hallway. I know what's coming.  Without a pause I'm accused and guilty due to association.

The smaller one gives a sympathetic look as I try to find words.  Being glared at by the other elicits a stuttering response.  As if he were a machine gun he fires question after question at me.  When my story "doesn't add up."  I'm offered twice as many days of suspension.  I begin to cry.  When I timidly repeat I wasn't the fourth culprit, an awkward silence fills the room.

Staring at me does nothing for him and after what feels like an eternity, I'm demanded to go back to class.  I must wait there for my punishment if no one else comes forward.

A six hour bus drive. One boys varsity soccer game and my own. A meal with teammates I called friends.  Two weeks of ignorance later, an authority figure has lost my respect.

1 comment:

  1. This does what what always works for me in vignettes: it sets the thing in motion but it doesn't try to do too much; it leaves a certain amount (but not too much) for the reader to figure out; it's more interested in its own art than in conveying who/what/when/where/why information.

    These are good things!

    ReplyDelete