Sunday, March 10, 2013

Prompt 34: Part II

I want you to know that my following question for you is encompassed with respect.  How old are you?  I've known you my entire life, but I swear you have not aged a day.  I'm not trying to be nice in a cliche way, I'm being completely serious.  That day Cisco bit your hand, I mustn't have been five, you looked almost identical to the last time I ventured into kitchen to catch up with you and Eddie.  I know you've aged since then, and not just spiritually.  I do want you to know I think of you often.  Our neighbors now aren't as kind.  They don't have an enormous garden with tomatoes I can eat like a apples.  Oh, and apparently we need to "put a muzzle" on our dog because it "shouldn't be barking so much"... I'm sorry I didn't visit you after you broke your arm.  I get so caught up in the here and now and there is always an excuse as to why I don't have time to make it over.  To be honest, my excuses are just for my justification as to why I need to do whatever I feel to be more important than visiting the kindest woman I know.  Before it's too late, I'd like to thank you.  Not just for the book on life you gave me, but for everything.


A part of me wishes we still stayed in touch.  Actually, that part of me attempted to stay in contact with you.  Throughout my entire high school years I admired you.  From that first day of Spanish followed directly by German, you had my full attention.  Your ability and knowledge of four languages intrigued me and inspired me to lead the path I'm leading today.  I know you were aware I frequently did most of the class' homework, but I enjoyed doing it.  I always participated, payed attention, volunteered for anything, got the highest grade each term.  But you never seemed to be satisfied.  I don't know what I did to make you despise me the way you seem to.  Even though everyone disliked you, to this day I still stick up for you.

1 comment:

  1. You have a nice feel for this prompt--not surprising since doing it well demands delicacy, insight, and a real taste for the melancholy bits and for the strangeness and mystery of life and lives.

    ReplyDelete