Saturday, March 9, 2013

Prompt 34: Part I

We were so little, yet I still manage to have an abundance of memories full of our adventures.  I enjoyed the ones involving travel soccer the most.  Even though you weren't MVP like me, we both managed to make it the greatest hour of our school-packed day. You were my best friend for four years.  I was positive we had a friendship headed for lasting a lifetime.  People change though, and that's exactly what we did.  We changed.  I sometimes think of my school time in Bangor.  And each year on October 27, I mentally wish you a happy birthday.


You wouldn't even be two.  I'm aware animals have short lives, but one year is too short.  You weren't even a full grown cat.  I only have myself to blame.  Demi, it was I who saw you last.  I brought you inside because the basement gave me the creeps and I needed company.  I was ignorant of an open trapdoor until I saw you prance up the wooden steps like the little princess you were.  I swore under my breath, but I was under the impression I'd be seeing you for supper.  I still look hoping to see you run out from behind the bushes each morning to greet me before I rush off to school.



1 comment:

  1. I don't know whether to laugh or cry over Demi and the trap door--it's horrible but has a bit of a farcical element too. Do they make a laugh/cry emoticon? Anyway, that piece catches the right tone of these pieces.

    I think the first one needs one detail, one small hook, to set the material in the reader's mind, though it's certainly in the right ballpark.

    ReplyDelete