Sunday, March 3, 2013

It was nothing like I imagined, it was worse: (Prompt 29)

"You seriously don't have a Twitter account, what is wrong with you?" I know her question is rhetorical, but I have a tendency of thinking into things more than the average person.  So in my eyes, she aggressively seems to be implying I must be mental all because I don't want to follow my generations need to burry their faces into technology 24/7.  

But, I am also too polite (and timid) to explain to her my reasoning for not following the crowd.  "Uh, no.  I don't," is instead what I hear exit my mouth.

"Yeah. You are crazy.  It's so cool. You can like see other people's posts without all the annoying things Facebook uses.  Like you don't have to follow people you don't want to and it's not like collecting friends on Facebook.  I mean you can pretty much start all over.  Oh and if you don't want someone to follow you, you can like make your thing private.  See these hashtags?" She doesn't even wait for my affirmation to the new term this social media has created for the pound sign, "yeah they let you put words together so you can like see other people that have said the same things.  OMG I haven't even told you that you can follow celebrities!!! I'm following JB. That's like Justin Bieber if you didn't know.  But like you need to be careful because they are only the actual famous person if you see this little blue circle with a check mark in it.  Isn't this awesome?"  

Focusing on how many times she said like, I was unaware she even asked me a question until she anxiously repeated it once more.  "Uhhh.. Sure?" I answer questioningly.

"You absolutely have to get one.  I can be your first follower!!!!!!"  

This over excitement makes me feel sorry for her ignorance of quality-filled pastimes available to us.  But, she is my friend and I have a guilty conscience about the oddest situations.  This unfortunately qualifies as potentially turning into guilt. "Okay, I guess I'll get one. I'm going to make at home. Later though." 

Later that night:

Studying my new Twitter page, I begin to follow people I know and as suggested a few celebrities.  One who is definitely NOT desirable and I intentionally skip over, is Justin Bieber.   People such as Jim Sturgess, Emma Watson, Ben Affleck, Matthew Perry, and David Spade make the cut before I get bored.  

I scroll past classmates' pages and read some of their tweets.  Some are funny, some are re-tweeted (when you click a button to post what another person has said so they still get credit for it), some are happy, some are quotes, some are lame, etcetera, etcetera.  Boredom consumes me once again prompting me to sign out.  As I shut my laptop I think to myself, "ah whatever. This isn't going to consume my life. I guess it's not so bad."  

A year or so later (today):

"Not so bad," what was I thinking?  It's terrible.  It's humiliating, embarrassing, deceiving, attention-seeking, annoying, time-consuming.  There aren't enough words in the dictionary to symbolize what Twitter is.  I will reluctantly admit there are some good qualities it possesses, but far more evil ones.  Never have I heard so much whining or complaining.  I'm aware I complain more than need be, but NO. BODY. WANTS. TO. HEAR. IT.  So why post it for hundreds of acquaintances (even millions of strangers) to see?  I look down upon those who actually give the attention to toothpick sized girls who say they're fat.  Or the gorgeous ones who ask why they're so ugly.  UGH.  Next time you say something witty or song lyrics and try to play them off as your own words, please, just don't.  You seriously have 9,000 tweets and you've only been using this for a year and a half?!?!  And I'm told I need to get a life instead of wanting to spend my hours reading books that actually require intelligence.  #Andwhatsupwiththis? #or #doing #this #every #tweet?  For your information, it is a pound sign.  NOT a 'hashtag'.  I am positive I have found one of the culprits of today's horrid grammar.  Social media.  Texting.  Like our speech is also so awful cuz of this, u kno?  Oh, and thank you for notifying us all you are eating toast, now working out, now with your bff, now life is awesome, now you hate people that can't speak English well.  Half of the people who make use of Twitter would never say the things they tweet to someone's face.  NEVER!  I'm also positive if you want to talk smack about someone and quote almost word for word what they said or did, they're going to know you're talking about them.  When you rant about people who speak meanly about others it makes you look hypocritical. And it kind of makes you look like a bitch.  

Though I am annoyed beyond belief, I have yet to delete my account.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Nothing I love more than a good rant and diatribe! Calling curses and lightning down from heaven to rain on the wicked and misguided, the sinners and fools! Vituperation unleashed!

    The one year later stuff builds into a crescendo of annoyance that you completely snuff with that surprise last sentence. Slick piece!

    ReplyDelete