Sunday, February 24, 2013

Canadian Journey

Our legs burn as we climb the inclined rocky terrain.  The two men walking ahead of us exchange words of excitement.  Their appearance doesn't suggest they are in the right shape to have the ability to speak.  Nicole and I attempt to hide our heavy breathing which makes us incapable of holding a conversation.  When we reach the top an attractive young man standing on extended white crane greets us.  The four of us climb the crane's ladder to join five other adrenaline seekers.

The worker begins speaking rapidly in French.  When he takes notice of mine and Nicole's expressions he asks if we are American and apologizes after we confirm his suspicion.  He sticks to speaking English which everyone knows.  After he explains what we are exactly going to be doing, he asks if any of us plan on being dipped in the water.  Nicole's hand shoots right up.  He tells her she'll be going first and walks her down the crane-like plank to harness and jump.

I wait for my turn while others around me speak in French.  A feeling of awkwardness overcomes me and isn't relieved until a new worker switches shifts and strikes a conversation.  The reality of what I'm about to experience has yet to hit me.  My only request is that the cord doesn't break.  I am made to watch one, two, three, four, five people jump before it's my turn.  As I am being harnessed I watch the guy before me take his dive.  The crew isn't allowed to push you, you must do it at your own free will, but this guy hesitated for five countdowns.  At this moment I was hit with an overflowing rush of anxiety.

I walk the plank.  I begin to feel slightly light headed as I stare below me at the crystal blue lake.  I am unable to locate my friends down below as a surge of extreme dizziness makes it hard to see.  I wonder to myself if this is normal but choose not to tell a soul.  I drove ten hours to be here, I wouldn't want something as small as fear ruin my chance of checking this off my bucket list.  I am hooked by my ankles.  I stand at the edge of the gate and a set of mixed feelings flood me. "FIVE!" anxiety; "FOUR!" excitement; "THREE!" determination; "TWO!" fright; "ONE!" the rush of free-falling.


3 comments:

  1. I like the piece but I can't really shape my comments to it, unless I know what assignment/what week it is meant for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your confidence in the ending--sometimes it's hard to know the right place to close, but I think you nail this exactly, leaving us (so to speak) hanging.

    As I read it again, I realize that grafs 1 & 4 are almost stand-alone--you could drop 2 & 3 completely and only lose some filler detail.

    ReplyDelete