Thursday, February 28, 2013

Safe Haven: (Prompt 27)

No one speaking.  No television set buzzing.  No music blaring.  No child yelling.  No car accelerating.  My expectations seem unrealistic living in such a busy world, but I truly value silence.  Constantly encompassed in chaos this is hard to find, but

in here it is quiet.

No onlookers glaring.  No promises unfulfilled.  No qualifications required.  No judgement.  My own faults are unwelcome.  Being quick to judge along with other traits we as human beings possess make it unbearable to surround myself with this planet's population.  But

in here no prejudice resides.


No illuminations protruding.  No sun burning.  No headaches forthcoming.  No warmth welcomed.  My dislike of brightness would be inconvenient to a "normal" person's average day.  Living is impossible without excessive amounts of light, but

in here it is shaded.


No assignments unfinished.  No applications to be filled.  No unwanted meetings scheduled.  My hours are limited leaving me stressed beyond belief.  Every waking moment is consumed by daily worries of finishing this, that, and the other thing.  But

in here there are no commitments.

No continuous wars.  No family members bickering.  No grudges held.  No feelings conflicted.  My firsthand experiences of human interaction create feelings that contradict one another.  Individuals existing in various communities hold a sense of pride and a obsesses over always being right, but

in here it is peaceful.

No self-esteem sensed.  No confidence lacking.  No assumptions painful.  No perfection defined.  My troubles unwillingly shape themselves around the opinions of others.  Publicized society obligates everyone must be the skinniest, the most adventurous, the tallest, the smartest, the prettiest, but

in here being oneself is always acceptable.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not ordinarily a fan of writing that strays from ordinary humdrum graphic, one-sentence-after-another style. In other words, I'm not much of a fan of poetic style graphic experiment or innovation.

    But I will make an exception today for this piece, which handles the graphic play with a nice light grace I can appreciate. Part of what I find so winning also is the content, which overcomes any doubts I have about form. Somehow you manage to make the content serious and personal without it becoming confessional--and that's a very nice trick indeed.

    Do you want to submit this to the school literary magazine?

    ReplyDelete