Sunday, February 3, 2013

Prompt 11

"I really do love watching movies.  There's just always something so sad about them.  Each and every one," she looks at me with a request of understanding as we sit with our backs against headboard of my double bed.

A smile parts my mouth and exposes my teeth as I answer, "There's always an end to every story."

What I thought to be a very clever answer worthy of being noted as a quote was either not that clever, or she really wasn't looking for acknowledgment from me to begin with.  She shifted her skinny jean covered legs into a criss-cross position and continued on. "There's always death.  Someone's life always has to end.  That's how it is."

I nod stepping off my bed onto the cream colored carpet.  I make my way towards the thirty-two inch screen t.v. and manually shut it off.  "The question is, did you enjoy it?"

Stretching her arms above her head mid-yawn she replies, "I really liked it.  It was a good movie.  Just sad. That's all."

"I should probably get going, Linds.  Sorry, but the rents want me home tonight," she twists her back abruptly right and then left making an annoyingly loud cracking sound.  That can't be good.

"It's all good," I lie.

The rest of the house is quiet. As we walk out of the square shaped bedroom we are certain to keep our voices at a reasonable volume.  After slumping down the carpeted stairs I unlock the gold bolt on our front door to let her out.

"Hey, could you start my car for me please, I've got to go the bathroom. Please!!!!!" She begs.

I go to open the door and a sudden rush of fear and chills encompasses my body and I slam it.  "I can't."  I whimper.

"Okay, you're freaking me out.  I'm not going out to my car after you pull a stunt like that." She finishes zipping up her mid-calf back boots and stands in front of me expectantly waiting for me to do something.

"Alright, I'll run out with you.. I'm running right back in though."

We head out into the star-filled country night.  As she opens the door to her silver CRV, I look around ready to make a sprint for the house.  "I'll call you tomorrow," she says jubilantly.  I know she won't.


2 comments:

  1. Aha, a nice dropdead ending. I love those and if you have a flair for them, they will come in so handy when you're doing vignettes in a few weeks.

    I'm also a fan of the unexplained (but not unduly mysterious) remark--and you drop a few in here. Again, one of the literary marks of modernist writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the hardest time writing this piece. It was the most difficult of the four prompts in my opinion. Hence why it was done last.

    ReplyDelete