Sunday, February 24, 2013

Where's My Pencil?

"Lindsey! Have you taken my crossword puzzle?"  My grandmother yells at me a few feet a way as if I can't hear her.

"Uhh, no... I don't use regular pencils.  I'm a mechanical pencil kind of person."  I defend myself.

"Where did you say you put it?" She squints at me trying to figure out what I really said.

Frustratedly I repeat, "I told you I don't use regular pencils."

"What?!?"

"I. DO. NOT. USE. REGULAR. PENCILS."

"So you don't have my pencil?"

Her handicap makes me feel ashamed of yelling.  "No, I do not."

She begins cleaning the counter in search of her pencil.  I see her go sit down without success in finding it.  "Could you please go look for me honey?  I'm tired and would like to rest my old legs." I nod and walk off as she opens the weekend paper.

Minutes later, I return to break the bad news I was unsuccessful in finding her favored writing utensil.

"I'm sorry I couldn't find it."

"Find what?  I don't need anything.  I'm just doing my crossword with that pencil you gave me for Christmas. You could help me out if you'd like. Here, four down is: "A Western Lake." It's five letters."  She looks at me in all seriousness.

Instead of laughing and criticizing her for now having her pencil which she just asked me if I had and not telling me before I looked everywhere, I say, "try Tahoe."

1 comment:

  1. Nice slice-of-life piece. I can sympathize with your grandmother because I put stuff down and tell myself not to forget where I put it (reading glasses, for example), and then five minutes later, it's not only that I can't find my glasses, it's worse: I wander around asking myself what it was I started out looking for two minutes before.

    ReplyDelete