Sunday, February 3, 2013

Prompt 10 (and/or) 12: The Eagle's Nest

Faded conversation mildly vibrates my left eardrum.  I can't quite make out what is being said.  I pull out The Great Gatsby and sit down, or more like up, upon a tall chair painted a deep brown.  I don't have right attention span to be reading right now so I shift my slightly worn book around in my hands and pretend to read.

One of the five girls I sit near gets up to leave. "See you later guys! Call me sometime!" She shouts to her presumed friends as she bounces out of the school cafe's entrance.

"Oh my gosh I cannot stand her," exhales a skinny blonde sitting behind a Macbook.

"I know!" chimes in a mousy haired girl with dark rimmed glasses.

My ears perk up as I strain to listen to the four "friends" beside me.

The largest of the four wearing clothes that are too tight for her figure decides she has something to say now. "She's so annoying.  I like how she comes in here to sit with us and feels like she has the right to talk like she is our friend. Like, seriously?"

Mousy hair pushes up her glasses and nods in agreement.

The blonde shuts her computer and begins to whisper, "Ugh she is so obnoxious.  I mean no one even likes her.  They just hang around her because she's pretty and stupid.  Guys like that combination.  It's ridiculous."

I strain even more so I can hear the rest of their conversation, but am unable to make out exactly what is being said.  One thing that's clear is they're still speaking about this pretty/dumb girl.  The girl being gossiped about reenters the cafe to pick up a designer bag and my assumption is affirmed when the four  girls at the table immediately shut their mouths and smile at the reason for their heated discussion.  They wave good-bye to her as she bounces out once again.  The second she's out of sight, the four girls laugh at themselves like the previous scene is hilarious.

I scowl at them behind my book with pure distaste.




2 comments:

  1. Meeeow! I used to hear conversations like this all the time when I taught in a junior high. It's depressing to me that here we all are in college and people are still trapped in those cliched clique roles and rules. It all sounds sooooo junior high.

    You do a fine job with the material. If it weren't hurtful to the participants, I'd say you might want to submit this to the Eyrie, the school literary magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo junior high is an understatement. I had to try and keep my mouth from dropping when the bashing began. It was awful.

    I see these girls still on occasion. All five, or just the four. So I think you're right in that I shouldn't submit it.

    ReplyDelete