Saturday, February 9, 2013

Writing.. or Escaping

I think I think to much.  I know I think too much.  I need not think so much.

What I find odd is that only through three pastimes am I able to detach from this "think, think, think" mode.  Writing belonging to the trio.

Movie watching, reading, and writing are easy channels to escape.  To get out of my head.  Movies and books are a different genre of getaways compared to writing.  They've already been written for the audience.  But writing... That comes from me.  My thoughts.  My voice.  My escape.

The only way to escape is to pull from previous experiences.  Haunting thoughts, dreams, and ideals that possess me. (Not necessarily in an exorcism kind of way). They're no longer a burden.

The best image drawn with words for what writing does for me has already been done by J.K. Rowling.  It reads:

"This? It is called a Pensieve," said Dumbledore, "I sometimes find, and I am sure you know the feeling, that I simply have too many thoughts and memories crammed in my mind. At these times," indicating to the stone basin, "I use the Pensieve.  One simply siphons the excess thoughts from one's mind, pours them into a basin, and examines them at one's leisure."

Using a a wand to extract thoughts and memories works much like the ink in my pen.  And journals, they act like my own personal Pensieve.  I often times do not dote upon what has been written down until I decide to with my own free will.

2 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean by an incontinent flood of thoughts--it can be exhilarating or debilitating, all depending....

    But what I find personally is that none of those flights of thoughts mean much to my writing. They are either uncapturable or, if captured, garbage or gibberish. Ordinarily, I really don't know what I think or exactly where my writing is going until I actually write. (And I don't have a real sense of the effectiveness of the writing till I read it aloud.) (But you knew that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I was more or so speaking about the journaling I do. For the most part anyway.

    ReplyDelete