Friday, January 18, 2013

FRIday

Sometimes I forget how precious life is.  I'm not going to spew out cliche lists of what my family, friends, life, etc. mean to me.  Hopefully my reminiscing of an enjoyable car ride home reveals what I'm incapable of describing with adjectives.

The scene is set in a car driving back from a basketball game.  My dad sits quietly in the front drivers seat.  The front passenger seat is vacated because of my brother's need for a friend.  So, my brother of seven and I occupy the back.

I'm reading Gatsby and laughing aloud to myself as if I am alone.  My brother interrupts me and says, "Linds, I really like having you to talk to."
"Well, thanks Zac," I reply only noticing for the first time that he was actually speaking.  See, when Zac talks it's very hard to understand who he's talking to or if he's actually talking to anyone at all.  I'm sure it's a quirk of most younger children.
I put Gatsby away careful enough not to crease any pages, then divert my full attention to the blond hair blue eyed child to my right.
We lock eyes and he says, "horse."
"Okay Zac.  Giraffe."
"Elephant."
"Rainbow."
"Skyscraper."
"T-Rex."
"Chicago."
"Earth."
"All the outerspaces, and stars, and planets, and earth."
"You mean the universe?"
"Yeah, the universe."
"The sun."
"Skyscrapers."
"You already said that silly. No repeats."
"Fine... A REALLY BIG CAR."
This continues for another twenty minutes more or so.  We get really into sharks, then we get really into schools, then we ironically get into guns and I have to steer him clear of that because I look up and see dad's eyebrows raised in the rearview mirror.  Through the middle of this "game," I remember thinking that all good things must come to an end.  Honestly I could have just spattered out words back in forth with this little guy for hours and it would have felt like five seconds.  Five precious seconds.

Yeah, my day ended perfectly.


4 comments:

  1. Ah, nice piece--exactly right to give us the dialogue. Would you be interested in submitting this to the school literary magazine, the Eyrie? The editor might find a place for it.

    And, yes, the dialogue does more than a thousand adjectives could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know exactly how.. but maybe, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to submit it, say "Yeah!" (no maybe) and I'll take it from there.

    ReplyDelete