Sunday, January 27, 2013

Looking in that photo album, I see--

I pick up my dark gray Lumix camera.  I turn it over in my hands and fumble with the lock button that opens up a compartment holding its battery and my memory card.  I see the battery, but the memory card slot stands vacant.

"Mom!" I yell. No answer. I yell again, "MOM!" Still no answer.  "MMMOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!"

She comes running down the hallway.  If not for my panic stricken mindset, I would have noticed that my request for her sounded like one of severe distress.  "What?" She says in a frantic voice while panting.

"Where's my memory card. It was here a couple days ago when I put my camera on my desk.  You asked me to see it and I told you I had to put it on my computer first." She looks at me for a moment. "Did you take it?" I accuse her.

I expect an offensive jab to be shot back at me, but instead I see her shoulders sulk. "I borrowed it to get photos to put in a frame for your dad."  She then changes the topic a little bit. "Want to come see them?"

I nod and walk down the hall to her room.  I assume that she must have the memory card handy with the prints. Once we get to her room, she goes directly to a plastic Walmart bag on her bed.  After she pulls out a paper case and hands it to me, she leaves the room. I'm unsure of where she sped off too, but my thoughts about the memory card are momently diverted to the pictures I'm flipping through in my hands.

My mom re-enters the room and I notice she's empty handed. 

"So mom, where's my memory card?" I ask somewhat sharply.

"I don't know.... I can't find it anywhere." 

She looks upset, but this doesn't stop me from going a little crazy. 

"Seriously mom. You should have asked me before you took it! I wanted to put them on my computer first before you took the pictures just in case something like this was to happen. I mean seriously.  Those pictures.. Those.. Tho.. There were pictures on there of New York, Boston, Canada, bungee jumping, and.. and.. and.. DEMI!! Mom Demi just friggen got eaten or something and is never coming back.  I have only like 5 pictures of her on my computer.  Oh my gosh. How could you do this?" I began to tear up when I started stuttering.  Then it was a full out cry when I remembered Demetri. I sped to my room.


Four months later:
I wish I had put those pictures on my computer.



1 comment:

  1. So, we're doing scene and dialogue in week 3--and this is a fine example. We could collaborate in class--I could read out loud the non-dialogue and your mother's part, and you could try to play the part of Lindsey Allen. Wanna?

    ReplyDelete