Sunday, January 27, 2013

In Class: Photograph: Zac Has Seen a Ghost

The previous year, sometime before my brother's seventh birthday, is when I managed to capture one of the most interesting photographs of him.

The following paragraph is only what seeing the picture is capable of describing.

He sits cross-legged with one hand behind his right thigh.  His left hand's palm faces him while his thumb, awkwardly close to the size of mine, rests upon a light-blue Dinaco tractor trailer truck from the Disney movie Cars. He's wearing one of his tighter pair of pajamas that are split in half as a t-shirt and shorts.  The focus is on him.  The background is almost non-existent.  There only resides a small foam bat behind him, another Cars truck next to the Dinaco one, the cement floor of the basement, and an outlet in the middle of a blue wall.  The make-up of Zac's face is the key story teller in this picture.  He is looking into my phone camera as if it were a ghost, or as if someone has hypnotized him.

This photograph has meaning behind the tiny space it currently occupies in my phone.  It reminds me of what I felt when I saw his face stay frozen well after I had snapped the shot.

See, we have a small joke in my family about an "entity" named Toby based upon the one in Paranormal Activity.  It was my younger sister's ridiculous infatuation with the trilogy at the time that brought upon this little joke.  I could easily scare her, and accidentally my younger brother, by staring at something behind the wall or saying something if we were sitting in the basement.  I actually even managed to innovate Mozart's well-known "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to go something like this:
Twinkle twinkle little star,
Toby wonders where you are.
High up above your head,
Toby surely wants you dead.
Twinkle twinkle little star,
You wont get - very far!
Well this time the tables were turned.  Zac's face frozen made my mind jump to Toby and when I asked something about it, he didn't budge.  I, me the one scared of nothing, freaked and ran upstairs leaving him alone by himself.  It's a memory I'll be able to hold on to and laugh about for eternity.

Thank you Zachary. :)


1 comment:

  1. The description in the third graf works nicely. The story behind the picture--not so well. You're asking your reader to work very hard to get the joke and depending on our knowledge of something this reader at least has no clue about ('Paranormal Activity.')

    ReplyDelete